Thursday, March 5, 2009

3 woman & a little lady

By April 1, there will have been 7+ babies born over the past 3 months in my office! (the + indicates my uncertainty on the exact #) And while i know how babies r made, i have still chosen the road less traveled by & continued my relatively new found habit of NOT drinking the water on the 22nd floor for fear of a miracle.

But it was yesterday, at my 2nd baby shower in 2 weeks, that i overheard a new coworker state what this was only her 2nd baby shower ever!... and her 1st was the one we hosted in office last week!

Initially, this struck me as quite odd: A 20-something woman who was trying the party punch with pink sherbet for the first time!... could it really be? And while i am sure my facial expression displayed my surprise without course, i chose to say a mere "Really?!" and await her response.

A short and sweet one she gave... "i am just not that close to many girls that have had babies." easy enough i guess.

The event went on as planned: food, games, gifts. And then my revelation.

The game was: Baby Alphabet. All the letters of the alphabet are listed with a blank line behind them. Once the sheet is turned over (given face down so no advantage is given) you are to fill in the empty line with a word that begins the corresponding letter AND has to do with Babies or pregnancy.

The clock started and on i went... started out strong... Animal crackers, Books, Cooing, Diapers...
Time was called. Scores were tallied. and i had all filled but 4!

since when did i know this much about babies? where in the world did i acquire the knowledge to fill in lactating, ointment, pee-pee tee-pee, raw (as in can't have raw food), stirrups, tummy time?

I am a 20-something woman who placed 2nd to 50-something woman in the overall point totals!

1 year, 5 months, and 27 days ago i was putting a flashlight to my sisters stomach trying to make 'it' move.
1 year, 5 months, and 20 days ago i was enjoying sushi with my sister Sarah bc 'it' had come out.

somewhere in between the two i acquired a speeding ticket and a niece.
and somewhere in between then and now, i acquired knowledge i never would have dreamt i would know.

So while my surprise of my co-workers lack of baby knowledge was true, my understanding for her 'excuse' is genuine. I knew my mom's friends that had babies. I even knew my own friends that had babies. But it wasn't until my sister had her baby.

Miss Elynor Aline Westrom has opened my eyes to many things... many of which i wished i had squeezed them tightly closed to!




BUT just as i am getting the hang of this little girl thing... my other sister Becca is gonna go and have a BOY?!

Bring on the pee-pee tee-pee.

2 comments:

  1. i don't know if i would even get that many on the quiz. i mean really, lactating? i don't think i ever used that word. i think there's more to the story - you are a good listener, you soak up information, you are very fast and highly competitive.

    cool photo collage. can you send it to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'm a friend of SheWesty with a 27 month old son, and my sister is an amazing Aunt Sissy to my son. I love that you almost won that game. Congrats on being such a hands on Auntie! :)

    ReplyDelete